Tuesday, March 14, 2006

one of my patients died

I heard last night at Med and Lit that an HIV/AIDS little boy I took care of last year died a couple weeks ago. It was the "long defeat." It wrenches my heart. I even wrote about him in my residency personal statement:

One of my patients was an eleven-year old HIV+ boy via vertical transmission (from his mother). His illness was complicated by the multiple infections, as well as his mother's psychiatric condition. He was in respiratory precautions, so I would often go in by myself to see him before rounds or chat with him during the day. He was frequently staring blankly at the TV and responded shortly to my attempts at conversation. He was receiving the best medical care and was clinically improving, but he remained emotionally removed. After several days, he began to smile when he saw me coming; he started to play video games again; he started to draw; and he even started to talk with me. I went off service before he left the hospital and on my last day there, I found he had drawn a picture and given it to the team. Yet, later, when he saw one of the interns carrying it, he corrected us, "No, that's for her--my doctor." He pointed to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home