Thursday, December 07, 2006

How can you mend a broken heeeart?

Tomorrow marks the beginning. Not only the first day of the rest of my life. But the beginning of a new rotation. Most likely the hardest rotation of my intern year. The cardiac care unit at the university hospital. Do you feel the fear in my words? If you were here, I'm sure you could see it in my eyes.

I just got sign out from the intern for whom I'll be taking over. She was glad to pass off the code pager, the call room key, the words of wisdom.

"It should be really good experience," I tell myself. I will learn a ton. Trial by fire, they say. Trial and error. Problem is that no one wants to err when you're trying to heal a broken or tired heart. In fact, it's hard to err at all.

I will be working 24 of the next 28 days, Christmas and New Year's included. Staying every fourth night at the hospital. Did I mention that I'm afraid?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home