Saturday, November 11, 2006

Happy Veterans' Day

For Veterans Day, not only did I get a day off yesterday, but I have good news about Mr. W: he was extubated (tube out of his mouth) and was clearing mentally. I am off of the VA service now, so I won't get to take care of him out of the ICU, but I plan to stop by when I have clinic there. He still has a feeding tube down his nose and breathing tube and catheter, but at least it's a little progress...if progress is what we call healing still.

"I wish you'd sit and talk with me," he said when I went to visit him. I pulled up a chair. We got to chat about submarines. He fought in WWII and was a first gunner's mate on four different submarines, the names of which he rattled off for me. I didn't know what a gunner's mate was so asked him, but could see it was an effort for him to talk much more and his pain medicine was kicking in again.

He kissed my hand when I left and offered to walk me out (which would be impossible; he was getting a little more confused). I told him thank you, but he just needed to rest...and that I would be back soon. "I'm glad," he eye smiled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home