Sunday, October 15, 2006

Strawberry Cake

I was on call on my birthday. Didn't have to go in until 11am so it wasn't that bad...plus the VA here is sort of slower (knock on wood) than in Nati. I only got one patient on call...and we only had to admit until midnight. Wierd.

I took in the cookies that mom sent so I told people it was my birthday. We have a great team. The resident is from St Louis and she's very real and fun. My co intern is the social organizer of our intern class and the three male med students are very sweet and take care of us just because (like get us sandwiches and see if we need anything just because and without asking).

Before they left last night, they all came down the hall singing "Happy Birthday" to me! I was very touched. I turned bright red and didn't even know how to thank them enough. One of them had gone out to get a strawberry velvet ice cream cake and then looked (in vain) for candles at three stores.

I just met these people for the first time the day before. Talk about random acts of kindness. It warms my heart. And it needed some warming...

Thank you to all for the birthday wishes. It really does mean more than I can say. I would have like to see you all in person, but the "virtual party" will have to do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

Happy birthday S. Remember we only get better with age!

7:57 PM, October 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my dear former AI! That VA is really slow... compared to the 8-10 admission nights we had back in Cincinnati! Always a good way to get back into the rigors of Medicine call.

9:41 PM, October 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shawna Shamu,
Sorry I missed your birthday, I should keep reading this more frequently. Wishing you a joyous and healthy new year.
On your birthday, I celebrate you a woman who's independent yet sensitive to the needs of others, who's strong in her convictions, and who acceptes the things she cannot change with wisdom and grace.
Today I celebrate you a woman who is honest and straightforward, who's always willing to listen yet never pretends to have all the answers, a woman who's a calming presence in confusion, who shares kindness when comfort is called for, a gentle smile when it's needed most.
I celebrate you a woman with the gift of caring, who can brighten a day just by being herself, a friend who means very much to me.

Every candle is a light you bring to the world.
Every candle is a story you have to share, a wisdom only you possess.
Every candle is a time you have understood, cared, and helped another find their truth and their beauty.
Every candle is something you have been through and now lights the way for others.
Long may you shine, happy birthday.

Keep Smiling,

l8r.

2:25 AM, October 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home