Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Many Roads to Happy

One of our consult patient has the same rheumatologist as me. She has lupus, too. And transverse myelitis along with it. I'm finally able to get through more than a paragraph of information about lupus complications (although the 80% 10 year survivial rate at the bottom of my handbook still stings) and able to take in more information about it. I actually really enjoy rheumatology. I did before it happened to include me in it's disease spectrum and now I do again.

In clinic yesterday I got to do a joint aspiration--an ankle that we though had gout but probably doesn't because the negatively birefringent crystals weren't present. Then there was the 66 year old former boxer vietnam vet who has many manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis, including perhaps fluid in his lungs (plueral effusion). I'm intruiged again. I like this stuff.

I had a bit of an epiphany on Friday as I sped down I-5 on my way to the house staff meeting. I might sort of know what I want to do when I grow up. Maybe half time pediatric clinic and half time adult rheumatology. Unusual combination, granted, but the hardest part is dreaming it. And it may change, which is fine, too. There are many roads to happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home