Monday, March 24, 2008

Peace be with you, Pop

My Grandfather, Robert Jackson, died this morning, peacefully in his sleep at home.

He was 87 years old and lived a long happy life.

He was born in Rhode Island on February 19, 1921 and despite moving away when he was 19, maintained his New Englad accent his whole life. In fact, until I was eleven years old, I thought barb wire was pronouced "bob" wire, named after him, of course.

He started working after he completed eighth grade and worked until he retired after that.

He served as a truck driver in the army for four years during WWII in New Guinea. He told us stories about eating onions like apples and making friends with the submarine guys who had access to all the good foods.

He loved deserts; baking won't be the same without his loving and appreciative sweet tooth. Lemon was his favorite, but then again, he had many favorites.

He married my mother's mom when my mom was six. They lived in a mining town in the California desert until my grandmother died when she was only 51 and Pop retired. He lived in Arizona briefly before helping my parents buy their first house in Northern California (with all of his savings) and moving in with them in January of the year I was born.

He helped raise the three of us kids. He was always there; always kind, always Pop.

Every Sunday he made us his special buttermilk pancakes.

For those of you who knew him, you are lucky. He was a remarkable, thoughtful, loving, and kind man. He will be deeply, deeply missed by many.

I don't know any details of the memorial service or anything yet. I'm still in NYC but flying home early tomorrow morning. The rest of the family is gathering, too.

The world is a better place for having had Pop in it. For that, and for all the love he has given to all of us, I am eternally grateful.

Spirits like his do not die; he stays with many of us. He stays with me.



Peace be with you, Pop.

And with you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Shawna,

My deepest sympathies and condolences for your loss.

He was, indeed, a loving grandfather and "an amazing man." I like to think of him as an iconic figure based on what I heard. These people keep the family in balance and harmony and once they are gone, their memory leads even greater.
There is quote from an Irish tombstone that says:

"Death leaves a heartache
No one can heal;
Love leaves a memory
No one can steal"

May you and your family take comfort in knowing there is one more angel above you watching and leading you in your precious life.

10:15 PM, March 28, 2008  
Blogger S. said...

Thank you.

I am finding him everywhere. In memories and in whispers of the breeze.

I miss him, but I feel him now still. Always with me.

10:22 PM, March 28, 2008  
Blogger sunseasurf said...

Sounds like a good guy, but he will live on in your life.

4:42 AM, April 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home