Wednesday, March 05, 2008

As the Neighbor Turns

I finished on Children's ward today, with a call shift. My co-resident and I traded covering each other's patients yesterday afternoon so I got to come home and try (unsuccessfully again) to sleep. When I got home yesterday, my ex-pro surfing neighbor Phil was sun bathing on his back by the pool. I tossed and turned for a few hours before going back to work to be up all night admitting patients (although for the the first time getting paid extra for it since I got to be the moonlighter!). It was a pneumonia/asthma/abdominal pain night topped off by a pelvic exam at 4 am. Talking to worried parents and tucking in sleepy sick kids, I walked back and forth between the rehab wing (where I always get the Amy Winehouse song stuck in my head) and the main medical unit. Sleepy before the time I could leave, I finished my paperwork and drug myself home this afternoon to shower and try to sleep (only slightly more successfully). And there was Phil. By the pool. He'd flipped over onto his stomach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home