Sunday, December 31, 2006

Eggs Benedict

I just watched "Runaway Bride." I laughed. I cried. I ran.

I'm reminded of a Star Trek character that I saw once. It was some sort of morphable woman. One who Captain Picard, Will Riker, and Geordi, maybe even Data, fell for. Because that's who she was, she was exactly what each of them wanted. That was her special power. She could change herself to be the smart sophisticated woman the Captain wanted, or she could be the warm girl-next-door wanted by someone else. She could be loyal, sexy, even changing as his mood and wants changed. Anything. She always knew just what he wanted.

But she didn't even know what eggs she liked.

"Eggs Benedict."

She didn't know herself.

In "Runaway Bride," that is the problem as well. She goes along with what each man wants, or expects, or hopes she will be. She is a projection of his desires. Or at least her perception of his desires. A hologram, if you will, practically perfect in every way. But not real.

The crux of the Star Trek episode came when Will wanted her to be herself. What he wanted was an individual. He didn't want her to be what he wanted, or thought he wanted. He wanted her to know herself and project that--be that. What then?

When your whole existence is based on creating yourself in the image of what the one you're with wants, what are you left with when he wants you to be your own person? Or what are you left with when you are alone?

2 Comments:

Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

Really interesting post. Sadly I remember that episode :). Did anything spark the entry?

9:05 PM, January 02, 2007  
Blogger S. said...

The entry was sparked by watching "Runaway Bride" on a particularly introspective day. Sometimes I feel like the morphable woman myself. I used to feel that way anyway. I think I'm getting better at being me and figuring out the kind of person I want to share the real me with. Picard? Riker? Data??? :-)

7:42 PM, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home