Saturday, June 24, 2006

I love the VA

Yesterday we also had our VA orientation. It was like no other VA orientation I'd ever been to or imagined. Granted I have only attended the one in Ohio before. And it was extremely painful and drab. So, even though our VA here is like the cadillac of VAs I expected more of the same orientation-wise. I was pleasantly surprised.

Once I actually found the place and go my car valet parked for free (they won't even accept tips if you offer), I hurried in and asked the super nice volunteers at the front desk where the orientation was. I'd met them the day before when I was there for computer training, they were welcoming and introduced themselves. This day I was in a hurry so asked them where I could find the housestaff orientation. It was in the auditorium.

I could hear the slight roar when I got in. The place was decorated all in a Hawaiian theme and all the people helping us where dressed in Hawaiian shirts, some with white sunscreen on their noses and visors. It looked like a festive bunch. And, even better, they were all very friendly and helpful and energetic. I registered and was immediately asked for some paperwork that my file needed. They were organized, too. Nice.

To my right were some of my classmates standing around a semi-circular table with strange huge white space mask-looking things over their head. Through the clear front window I could see that they also had on their respirators (for TB protedtion) and the instructor was spraying stuff into the headgear through a hole in the front of the plastic. I would be in their shoes less than an hour later.

Before that, however, I got to get some new scrubs and my own prescription pads...wow! And we watched what turned out to be a very heart-warming video. "Help people. It is addictive." "Privlaged to take care of this population." "Give it your best." And an echo of what my vallet parker had said the day before, "If you're not going to do something well, why bother doing it?" Even better than the message of the video though, was all the staff lined up and focused on the video and the message. You could tell they believed it and really gave this job their best. When it was over, I saw one of the employees put her hand over her heart and then raise it to the sky and smile at her co-workers.

I work at the VA during my first medicine month in October. I'm looking forward to it. I love the VA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home