Monday, September 04, 2006

Polyamorous

I had never heard this word until yesterday when my fellow intern in the nursery called to let me know about our schedule for the holiday today. "Polyamorous?" I guess the word sort of explains itself if you break it down: "multiple love." I haven't googled (honestly sort of afraid of what I might find) it but that's my take on the verbage. Besides, the behavior of the "polyamorous" woman in the nursery explains it much more than I ever wanted it explained.

I guess the story that this is a 40 something first time mother from Germany. She has a husband...and a boyfriend. Both of whom are present at the delivery of the child. Some rumor was started that it is the boyfriend's child, but I don't think anyone is really sure. The are all very open about their threesome and commited to the child (poor very confused baby).

Pitocin is used a lot in labor and delivery for "failure to progress," but this woman did not want to have medication, despite prolonged second phase of labor. So, one of the alternatives to augment delivery is (and this makes me cringe again just thinking about writing it): nipple stimulation.

But that's not the worst of it. She decides this will be better for the delivery and proceeds to instruct the men (waiting meekly for her directives) to stimulate her nipples. Right there in the middle of the delivery room, surrounded by everyone. And tactile stimulations would have been more than sufficient, but somehow they decide that oral stimulation will be more effective. And they do that. One man per breast. I wasn't there. For which I am very very glad.

Why do people do these things? Once again, I don't understand. And why is reality so so much stranger than fiction. Really, you can't make these things up.

Happy Labor Day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Quindigo said...

Uh....oral nipple stimulation for labor. I believe I've heard everything! (It's a good thing no one told her having sex would stimulate the process...or it could have been even more awkward, eh?)

4:32 AM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger S. said...

Please! Don't tell her that...thankfully the process is now over and they were discharged as fast as safely possible. She kept wandering the halls in nothing more than the top of her PJs.

9:09 PM, September 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home