Monday, August 28, 2006

She'll Carry his Heart

I knew an older couple who epitomized loving each other. They were thoughtful and kind and warm and giving and caring and open and loving, with each other and with those around them.

I met them when I was in high school. I loved them instantly. And I think they saw in me at least part of the children they were never able to have together. Throughout all my learning and my moves we always kept in touch. I'd send letters, they'd write back as unit. They were always together in my mind, and in reality. Sometmes I'd see them at the gym when I visited my family for vacations from school or work.

Together they built a house. Together they built a garden. Together they created a years full of love.

I wanted to be like them from the moment I met them. I wanted to have a love like theirs. A life full of it.

A month ago he died unexpectedly--cancer everywhere. He was gone in six weeks.

I just found out the other day and it has been on my mind a lot. He has been on my mind a lot. As has she. They were such a pair, I can't picture one without the other. Together they helped define each other.

My mom talked with her today for a long time. "Sometimes you just go on because you have to." I suppose you do.

She'll carry his heart (she'll carry it in her heart).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home