Friday, August 11, 2006

Beach Chair Needed

Wrote the following letter to my new advisee (who is just starting college) through a scholarship that I received out of high school. She is just at the beginning of where I am now. Makes me think of what I should tell her. It is a long long hard road and I'm not even finished yet. I think of the moments that have been turning points for me and the times when adults let me see into their lives.

My pediatrician told me once that he loved coming to work every day. Every day.

One of my professors in undergrad followed his bliss and found daily happiness in teaching literature. Daily.

Part of it is paying attention to what clicks most with you...and part of it is attitude of letting yourself enjoy it. At least that's what I'm working on now.

I have today AND tomorrow off!! Yipee. I have spent this morning doing all sorts of things that I've let slip for the past two months. And basically just lounging around in between. I'm going to head to the beach in a bit. That reminds me. I should get a beach chair at some point. Maybe one of those backpack kind that I see everyone carrying as they walk toward the beach.

It's beautiful here today. Hope your day is as well.


"I got to be an advisor by being an ex-scholar. I received the scholarship all through college and then for three of my four years at medical school. It was a wonderful gift and I continue to grow to appreciate it...as I'm sure you will over the coming years.

I wasn't sure I wanted to be a doctor right out of high school so I just took school/learning one step at a time and tried to pay attention to what I enjoyed and what I thought would get me to a career that I could enjoy for the rest of my life.

In college I knew I had room to still stretch myself after that...and med school sure did it. But you should just take things as they come and do your best at every step of the way. Doing your best always opens doors.

I recommend making close connections with professors up front since you will probalby eventually need letters of recommendation from them. Just be interested. Ask thoughtful questions and, above all, get help as soon as you think you even might need it. Tutors and professors are there to help you learn so you should take full advantage of all your resources.

And have some fun. This first year is an adjustment in many ways. Hang in there. Remember where you're from, but don't be afraid to jump into where you are going, either.

Keep in touch! I'll be anxious to hear how things develop for you over the coming months and years. And let me know if I can help in anyway.

Kindly,

S."

1 Comments:

Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

I'd agree that connections with professors are great. Volunteer at hospitals is also a great experience. I volunteered with a neurosurgeon while I was doing undergrad and not only did I learn a lot I actually got to watch a couple of neurosurgeries.

8:36 PM, August 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home