Monday, October 03, 2005

Assignment

My younger brother, C., who is an aspiring (and very talented if I do say so myself) writer has given me an assignment. He says I should write a couple paragraphs about what type of person I like, "you know, a boy," he says "And try not to think of any particular person." Apparently this was prompted by his girlfriend asking him what he likes in a person. Though usually ready with an apt remark to any question, he had so many thing running around in his head that he couldn't express them coherently. So he asks me if I'm busy ("only moderately," I reply, having started a new rotation today) and tells me I have this assignment. I was thinking about it at the gym today and started to sympathize with him having all sorts of things running around in his head. It's hard to pin in down...but here's attempt #1:

I want someone who is intelligent and strong and confident in himself; and who can encourage and cultivate those parts of me, as I can for him. I want someone who enjoys positive fun in exploring the world and the people around us; someone who makes sharing life, or a joke, or ice cream, or anything with him more than what it would be alone. I want someone to trust and depend upon. I want someone who pushes me to the edges of my abilities, and who is there to catch me and hold me when I need a rest.

I want someone who is thoughtful and caring. He will be a great, fun and loving son, husband, father, and grandfather. He will be quietly respected by those who know him best. He will be unafraid to love and share himself. Unafraid to take that risk, though knowing the depth of joy and pain it involves. He will be someone to love without restraint or apprehension; someone with whom to shape a life of growth, learning, and joy; and someone with whom I would look forward to growing old.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up? It's brother C. I love reading your things, and intend to make it a point to write more and share more with you. You are so talented. Thanks for sharing.

8:02 PM, October 05, 2005  
Blogger S. said...

Hey C.! Thanks for reading them. I'm glad you like them...and it's nice to share with someone, too. I fell asleep (very tired last night; have been pushing hard the last couple days) excited knowing that I could finally share :-). I have to hurry and get to lecture again this morning. How did I do on the assignment? Ready for attempt #2? Love you!

4:53 AM, October 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home