Sunday, September 18, 2005

Feeling Strangely...

Feeling strangely...fine? Met a new place to explore yesterday. It's a pleasant surprise as I'm displaced from all places I found familiar as a kid, college student, and after. I've been here three years and have yet to find a favorite escape. Thankfully (maybe) I'll be leaving soon for "The Great Beyond." I call it that just because I don't know where it is yet. I'm applying for positions across the country to see where I can find a good match.

Anyway, the new place to explore is just up the hill from here; a big park with lots of wooded trails. As I was there studying yesterday two wedding parties came by to take their pictures before the main event up at the building in the center of the park. Must be good if people choose to get married there, right?

So many of my friends and classmates are married around here; it's a different climate that way than California. Their whole wedding planning everything sounds like a giant headache to me right now. But maybe that's just because it's not right for me yet. Which is unfortunate perhaps because I think my boyfriend believes it is. Yes, indeed, more to think about...and an entirely different "great beyond."

It's a full moon tonight. It is giant and really bright through the window. It makes me think of when I was in Italy as a Junior in High School feeling very excited but also very far from home. There was a group of 20 of us. Even my current crush (who I later found out was gay which explained a lot) was there. For some reason my girlfriends had decided to braid all of my then quite long hair into little tiny braids. It looked ridiculous. Long blonde hair in lots of braids was not a good idea. Anyway, that is when the teacher/leader decided to come around and ask each of us what our favorite memory of the three-week long trip had been. I didn't know what anyone else was saying (which is high school is of course of paramount importance) so I said something about learning that even places all the way around the world share the same moon and that when I would look at now I could think of there and from there I could think of Italy. It sounded silly when I listened to it on the tape later. Especially when it was surrounded by other people saying "Gelato!" or "the David." In high school you just want to be normal. I wish that memory didn't pop into my head sometimes when I look at the moon. It still makes me cringe a little. But even still, if you have not yet taken a look at the moon tonight, you should; it really is beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home